Blue roofs offer an opportunity to temporarily store stormwater at roof level, before releasing at a controlled rate in line with planning conditions.
Blue Roofs are a recent development which are explicitly designed to attenuate rainwater rather than drain it off as quickly as possible as in traditional roof drainage design. ABG’s patented ABG blueroof offers a new concept in the management of storm water by collecting and retaining rain fall within the actual roof structure before discharging at a controlled rate. This is particularly beneficial on sites where land take is tight, such as in urbanised areas, where installation of other attenuation techniques such as ponds or subterranean tanks are not feasible.
A blue roof can accommodate a wide range of surface finishes whilst also forming an integral source control and attenuation element within the SuDS design on modern developments, often eliminating the requirement for storage capacity in other areas of the site.
Like green roofs, blue roofs are suitable for use on a wide range of substrates and are compatible with most modern waterproofing systems. They are also flexible when it comes to the roof build up, being equally as effective on an uninsulated podium construction as they are within a warm or inverted roof construction.
Geogreen have vast experience in the design and construction of blue roof systems. We offer a broad range of final surface finishes available including extensive, intensive and biodiverse vegetation along with paved finishes typical of a podium deck.
- Podium deck drainage
- Roof garden drainage
- Reservoir layer on Extensive & Biodiverse Green Roofs
- Drainage layer beneath block paving
- Temporary storage of storm water at roof or podium level
- Roof garden finishes such as soft and hard landscaping materials
- Management of storm water at source
- Potential habitat replacement and enhancement
- Potential to create of valuable amenity space
- Significant contribution towards achieving BREEAM and LEED sustainability points
- Protection to the waterproofing system therefore extending its overall design life
- Quick and easy installation to minimise programme time
- Robust materials to resist installation damage
- The complete system from design to installation and on-going maintenance
Typical Client Profile:
- Property developers
- Schools and universities
- Local authorities
- Commercial developers
- Visitor attractions and event venues
- Drainage consultants
- Landscape architects
- Public health engineers
- Structural engineers
Biodiverse blue roof
Biodiverse Roofs, sometimes referred to as brown roofs, replace and often enhance the habitat that would otherwise be lost to a new development. Biodiverse blue roofs are designed to create a natural habitat to support a variety of plants, birds, animals and invertebrates. Biodiverse blue roofs contribute significantly towards achieving additional BREEAM points, as well as improving air quality, assisting in controlling rain water run-off as well as helping to enhance the acoustic and thermal properties of the roof.
Extensive blue roof
Extensive blue roofs, often referred to as sedum or wildflower roofs, are the best known type of green roof and are relatively self-sufficient and low maintenance. Extensive blue roofs contribute towards improving air quality, reduce the visual impact of the roof and provide storm water attenuation to control rain water run-off as well as helping to enhance the acoustic and thermal properties of the roof.
Intensive blue roof
Intensive blue roofs, often referred to as roof gardens, may be landscaped to include trees, lawns, flower beds and paved areas. With an intensive roof the only real limit to its scope is the weight of the system and the structure necessary to support it. Intensive blue roofs create additional usable space and add real value in modern urban developments.
Why use Geogreen?
- Our staff are fully trained
- Responsible and Professional
- Customer satisfaction every time
- Value engineering approach
- Knowledgeable staff
- Technical support at all stages
- Fully vetted supply chain
- Manufacturer backed expertise
Insurance & Liability
- Fully insured
- Qualified staff
- Safe working practices
- Environmentally aware